Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Gear review: Aqualung technisub micromask


Let's face it I have a problem when it comes to diving. Part of that problem is having to try every new piece of gear that comes along. After staring at these sweet looking little masks in the shop for a while now I finally caved and picked one up this past Saturday and tried it on Sunday's dive (see Tug report below).

I will jump right into the cons of the mask... There were 2 reasons for my delay in picking one of these up: 1. This tiny mask makes up for its physical disposition with its relatively high retail price ($99.99), and 2. I had noticed at Bainbridge on JC's that the strap buckles connect with kind of cheap (especially considering the price) buckles (see pic below) the type of which I had broken on a Poseidon mask.

The good: This mask is pretty awesome. It's very small and with the lenses very close to your eyes the field of vision is pretty amazing. The skirt is also a nice soft silicone and is probably the most comfortable mask I have ever tried. Additionally for you rebreather folks equalizing and clearing the mask takes virtually no gas and venting gas through my nose was as smooth as if breathing on land.

Overall I am very pleased and will be using this mask as my primary from now on, but will be keeping my fingers crossed on the durability of the buckles.


Micromask (top) and my trusty old Seadive mask (bottom) for size comparison


Close up of buckle with plastic "knob" that I sheared off on my Poseidon mask

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, how is it holding up? I've been thinking of getting one, but am worried about durability since I would like to use it for diving and underwater hockey.

BAM said...

so far so good. have had it almost a year and love it. my new site is www.downtoolong.com thanks for the comment!

Anonymous said...

Yes undoubtedly, in some moments I can reveal that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be making allowance for other options.
to the article there is stationary a definitely as you did in the downgrade issue of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=multi password recovery 1.0.3 ?
I noticed the axiom you suffer with not used. Or you partake of the pitch-dark methods of development of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg

Anonymous said...

[... ] is one great source on this issue[...]

Anonymous said...

Keep working ,great job!